This feels like a big milestone. One and a HALF? We’re halfway through your
first second year? Insanity.
But the proof is right in front of me. You are a toddler boy. Even when I try to cradle you in my arms, you’re all long limbs and pointy elbows.
Taking pictures of you these days is tough! You’re too quick for my real camera, which is too old and slow for your speed, and as soon as I pull out my phone you are trying to get your smudgy little fingers on it.
But I still try! And luckily I managed to capture a few that show you at 18 months. Goofy grin, awesome hair, mouth full of teeth toddler you.
I say this every month, and probably will always say it, but you’re so fun right now. You learn a new word every day (I’ve lost count of how many you know), and you pick up new skills daily as well.
You’re in a bit of a daddy phase. It’s your favorite word, and your favorite sign, and if he’s around, I’m chopped liver. I’m trying to not take it personally, and it really does warm my heart to see you two together, but sometimes it does hurt my feelings. I think it’s because daddy never uses the bulb aspirator on your, nor does he ever wipe your face.
You love cars—toy and real. Yesterday we spent the morning at the park, and you would point at every car and truck that went by. “Car! Truck!” Fridays are garbage days, which meant there a few garbage trucks to point at too. “Whoa!” you’d say.
You still love to eat, but you’re becoming more discerning. Certain foods you used to love, you now shy away from. (Like sweet potatoes and avocado.) You can also now ask for certain items, and if we don’t guess correctly, it’s no bueno.
Aside from your bout with Hand, Mouth & Foot virus a few weeks ago, you’ve been well recently. No ear infections, and finally thankfully praise God, your diaper rash is gone. We are not 100 percent back into cloth diapers, but at least 80 percent of the time, you’re in cloth. Yes!
You’re our sweet buddy, and we love you so much. You are the best.
Mastered Skills (most kids can do)
• Will “read” board books on his own — Oh yes. You love to look at books. The other day we were FaceTiming with Sarah and the girls and Molly showed us one of her books. You disappeared into your room and came out carrying a book! You walked over to me and sat down and started reading it. It was so cute.
• Scribbles well — Yes. You love to color, and you love when you get your hands
Emerging Skills (half of kids can do)
• Strings two words together in phrases — Yes. You love to say “go car go!”
• Brushes teeth with help — Not really. You just chew on it.
Advanced Skills (a few kids can do)
• Throws a ball overhand — Yes. You’ve been throwing a ball for months.
• Takes toys apart and puts them back together — Sort of? You like to dump all the animals out of the LP Noah’s Ark and then put them back in.
• Shows signs of toilet training readiness — Some. You love to say and sign potty, and you’ll sit on it, but no potty action.